THE STORY OF THE MUSTANG CANTINA
In 2004, Scotty Light purchased the former two story Ewell’s Dry Goods Palace (1893) and its adjoining storeroom (1903), which is now the Mustang Cantina Restaurant and Bar. The buildings were designed by Jules Leffland, Danish architect, who designed 80 additional buildings in South Texas. By the wishes of Josephine Ewell, the owner’s wife, the original late Victorian façade of the two-story building was replaced by a “modern” one. Through the years, the two story edifice was also a movie theatre, a Ford tractor dealership and an office building. It is the future Inn on the Square, a six-room boutique hotel, planned for completion in 2019.